Fact Sheet on Obtaining Social Security Number for Deferred Action For Childhood Arrivals (DACA)


Social Security Number Fact Sheet for Deferred Action For Childhood Arrivals (DACA)

Am I eligible for a Social Security number?

• If the U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS) grants you Deferred Action status and employment authorization, you may be eligible for a Social Security number.
• After you receive your Employment Authorization Card (I-766) from USCIS, you can apply for a Social Security number.

How do I apply for a Social Security number?

• You must visit a Social Security office in person to complete and sign an application for a Social Security number. Find your local office at http://www.socialsecurity.gov/locator.
• You must bring your USCIS-issued Employment Authorization Card (I-766) and proof of age and identity.

You must show an original document or a certified copy of one of the following as proof of your  age and identity:

• Foreign birth certificate;
• Foreign passport;
• U.S. military record;
• U.S. military identification card;
• Religious record showing age or date of birth;
• U.S. driver’s license;
• U.S. state-issued identification card;
• School record showing age or date of birth;
• School identification card; or
• Copy of medical record.

Please note, while you may have provided photocopies of the above documents to USCIS, Social Security requires original documents or copies certified by the agency that issued them. We cannot accept photocopies or notarized copies. We must independently verify the documentation you provide.

For more information, visit http://www.socialsecurity.gov or call toll-free, 1-800-772-1213 (for the deaf or hard of hearing, call our TTY number, 1-800-325-0778).

View SSA Fact Sheet (.pdf)

Tags: , , ,

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s

%d bloggers like this: